The Marshall County Fair wrapped things up last Saturday with its annual 4-H livestock auction, raising a total of $239,717.30, which is up from last year's $209,737.74.
With over 600 lots selling, approximately 46 beef, 187 swine and 104 sheep were sold, along with rabbits, loins, dariy beef, poultry, dairy products and goats.
Katelynn Leffert of West Twp. sold her 1,384-pound grand champion steer to a support group (see list at end of story) for $3,183.20 ($2.30 per pound). The reserve champion steer, exhibited by Crystal Overmyer and weighing 1,306-pounds, went to a support group (see list) for $4,309.80 ($3.30 per pound).
Walnut Twp.'s Shelby Sanders showed the grand champion dairy steer to Stony Pike Livestock Auction. Her steer, weighing in at 1,540-pounds, brought $1,925 ($1.25 per pound). Scott Kepler of Green Twp. exhibited the reserve champion dairy steer, selling it to Green-Walnut buyers group for $1,224.00 ($1.11 per pound).
Leading the way in swine, 10-year member Derek Sellers of Bourbon Twp. displayed the grand champion barrow weighing 284-pounds, bringing $7.15 per pound to a support group (see list). Tanner Hoffman of Union Twp. exhibited the reserve champion barrow weighing 282-pounds, but it did not sell.
In the loin sale, Crystal Overmyer of Bourbon Twp. sold her grand champion loins to Chet Hall, Jeff Bates and Overmyers Flooring for $375. Brooke Overmyer, also of Bourbon Twp. had the reserve champion loins, which was purchased for $400 by Chet Hall, Jeff Bates and Overmyers Flooring.
Jaclyn Bauer of Union Twp. started the sheep auction with her grand champion market lamb weighing 129-pounds. It was purchased by a support group (see list) for $1,051.35 ($8.15 per pound). The reserve champion market lamb, weighing 140-pounds, was displayed by Center Twp.'s Darin Harrell. He sold his market lamb to a support group (see list) for $1,400 ($10 per pound).
Green Twp.'s Jesse Bollenbacher started the dairy product sale with his grand champion Jersey. He sold its milk to a support group (see list) for $1,500. Andrew Bollenbacher, also of Green Twp., exhibited the reserve champion Jersey but did not sell milk.
Milk from the grand champion Holstein was sold by Andrew Bollenbacher of Green Twp. A support group (see list) purchased his milk for of $1,500. Julia Lipply of Center Twp. exhibited the reserve champion Holstein, but did not sell milk.
Jodie Lemler of Bourbon Twp. displayed her grand champion Guernsey, selling its milk for a total of $1,000 to a support group (see list). Instead of receiving the amount earned for her cow's milk, Lemler has chosen to donate all profit to the dairy bar for further improvements. Katie Watson of Bourbon Twp. exhibited the reserve champion Guernsey, but did not sell milk.
The grand champion grade Holstein, exhibited by Katelynn Zechiel of Green Twp., also decided to donate all proceeds from her milk sale back to the dairy bar at the fairgrounds. Wilson Fertilizer & Grain, Hoffman Auctioneering and Culver GMJ Holsteins purchased her milk for $600.
Baylee McIntire of Tippecanoe Twp. sold her grand champion dairy goat wether to a support group (see list) for $400. Luke Kepler of Green Twp. exhibited the reserve champion dairy goat wether for $300 to a support group.
In the meat goat sale, Kelsey Verhaeghe of Walnut Twp. exhibited the grand champion meat goat which will be competing at the Indiana State Fair. Bellinda Bottorff of Center Twp. exhibited the reserve champion meat goat, which also did not sell.
In the rabbit sale, Cassaundra Irons of Tippecanoe Twp. sold her grand champion meat pen to Kelly Hoffman of Hoffman Auctioneering for $200. Makayla Broeker of Polk Twp. sold her reserve champion meat pen for record $1,500.20 to a support group (see list). In 2003, the record was $1,500.
The grand champion fryer was exhibited by Rebecca Klingensmith of Polk Twp. Luke Kepler of Green Twp. sold his reserve champion fryer for $400 to a support group (see list).
Dakota Koontz of German Twp. displayed his grand champion chickens, selling them to a support group (see list) for $250. The reserve champion chickens were exhibited by Bryce Swhihart of Bourbon Twp.
Bourbon Twp.'s Blake Lemler exhibited the grand champion ducks and geese. Lemler's ducks were purchased by Taylor and Jason Verhaeghe and North Central Co-op for $200. He also sold his geese for $175 to Kim Bates of 1st State Bank of Bourbon.
The grand champion turkeys were exhibited by Breanna Lemler of Broubon Twp. She sold them for $137.50.
In the beef division, 46 entries brought a total of $69,659.70 while 45 dairy beef entries totaled $53,228.85. In the dairy goats, 12 sold for total of $1,295 with 4 dairy products raising $4,600. Thirty loins sold for a total of $10,275 and 18 meat goats brought $2,370. The poultry entries totaled 63, raising $5,250 and 113 rabbit lots, brought $10,300. A total of 186 swine sold for $54,543.15 .
• Dakota Koontz support group—ADM Nappanee Farm Service; Woodies; Bremen Carquest; Market Street Auto-Nappanee; Koontz Hardware; Koontz Show Stock; Ron George Livestock and Josh and Karmen.
• Jesse Bollenbacher support group—Vita Plus, Chet Hall; Hoover Feeds; Farm Credit, Craig Douglas; Gutwein Dairy Consultation Inc.; North Central Co-op; Kirkdorffer Milk Hauling; Broadbeck Seeds, Trevor Hughs; Uneeda Holsteins; Bowman Hoof Trimming; Neukomm Trucking; Zimmerman Manure Hauling; DeLaval; Louis Drefus Commodities, Jeremy Armstrong; Shepherds GM; Bobcat of Warsaw; Zehner & Sons Excavating; Gilsinger John Deere and Plymouth Tire.
• Andrew Bollenbacher support group—Vita Plus, Chet Hall; Hoover Feeds; Farm Credit, Craig Douglas; Gutwein Dairy Consultation, Inc.; North Central Co-op; Kirkdorffer Milk Hauling; Broadbeck Seeds, Trevor Hughs; Uneeda Holsteins; Bowman Hoof Trimming; Neukomm Trucking; Zimmerman Manure Hauling; DeLaval; Louis Drefus Commodities, Jeremy Armstrong; Shepherds GM; Bobcat of Warsaw; Zehner & Sons Excavating; Gilsinger John Deere and Plymouth Tire.
• Jaclyn Bauer support group—Widner & Sons Excavating; Western Reserve Insurance, Jason Young; John Bauer; Auto Park; Hoffman Show Lambs and Wilson Feed of Rochester.
• Derek Sellers support group—U.S. Granules; Richard R. Bean, P.A.; North Central Agri-Power; Paul Hundt Concrete; H & M VanVactor Trucking; Crop Insurance Specialists; Construction Management; George's Grain Farm Inc.; Ryan Sieber; Scotty's Hydraulic; Crop Fertility Secialists, Terry Hamon; Lemler Oil Company; B & G Trucking; Sobasky Show Pigs; Loren and Kim Sellers; Jason and Dawn Verhaeghe; Farm Bureau Insurance, Don Schultz; Chad Kennedy, John Hancock; Plymouth Tire; Bob, Sharon, Brian Bules; Brandon & Megan Bules; Wilson Feed of Rochester; Stockberger Trucking; Kathy Drake; Morris Roofing; Marilyn Houin and John and Elaine Ferguson.
• Katelynn Leffert support group—Francis Ellert; First Federal Savings Bank; McIntirer Mulch & More; State Rep. Mr. Trophy; Wyatt Feed Supply Inc.; Taco Garden, Inc.; Cropwatch, Mark Eads; Cere Service; Troy and Londa Dunlap; Hoffman Cattle Company; Kelly Hoffman Auctioneering; Bob and Becky Hoffman; Dale and Kaye Schultz; Sara and Ken Calhoun; Joe Hunting and family; Sonny and Carrie Personette; and Sherwood Tire of Plymouth.
• Darin Harrell support group--Morris Family Farm; Jennings Insurance; B&P Trucking Inc.; Berger Auctioneering Inc. and Gilsinger Equipment.
• Crystal Overmyer support group—Richey Cattle, Tom and Karen Richey; R2 Cattle, Wes andKim Richey; Shipshewana Aucion and Farmstead Inn; T-N-T Fertilizer, Russ Carlson; Tangles Hair Salon; The Back Forty Reception Hall; Jeff Bates; Bryon and Jessica Overmyer; Jim Vermillion; Steel Ridge; First State Bank of Bourbon; North Central Agri Power; Loren and Kim Sellers; Chet Hall; Devon and Debra Nifong; Overmyers Flooring; Jennifer Bates; and Saylor Custom Meats.
• Luke Kepler support group--Hartman Drafting Service; Shepherds Chevrolet of Rochester; Farm Credit Services of Rochester; North Central Co-op; Wilson Feeds, Rochester; and Farm Bureau Insurance of Don Schultz.
• Makayla Broeker support group—Plymouth Tire; Millers Merry Manor; Schmidt family; Starke Co. Co-op; Dr. Myers; Tracy Figg; Betty Kaser; Osborne Feed; Richard Bean; Beth Britton; Dr. Bottorff; Farm Fertilizer; Bob Broeker; Beauty & the Beach; John Broeker Trucking; Tim Rice family; Scott Johnson family; and Linda Porter.
• Baylee McIntire support group—Lemler & Son; Congressman Joe Donnelly; North Central Agri Power; Wilson Feeds, Rochester; McIntire Family Goats; Darrel and Mary McIntire; Danny Kline; Fidman Family Farm; Miller Noreen Insurance, Scott Jennings.
• Jodie Lemler support group—Dick and Nancy Martin; Lars and Susan Lemler; Wes and Alissa Pugh family; Lemler & Sons Backhoe; North Central Agri Power; Brian Kitch family; Loren Sellers family; Mike & Mendy Davis; Chuck Sellers family; and Farm Fertilizer & Seeds.